Monday, April 02, 2007
Claude Julien Fired; Lou To Step In
I'm just surprised by this. In Lou We Trust and all, but still. Just surprised.
- Mike Francesca and the Mad Dog (Chris Russo) know little about hockey.
- Lou said Julien will remain in the organization.
- Lou said Julien was not (or should not have been) surprised by this firing.
- Lou said the players should definitely not be surprised by this firing.
- Lou discussed the replacement coach option with ownership and the decision was for Lou to take over behind the bench a second time.
I always say: In Lou We Trust, lets hope this holds true again.
Well, I have to disagree on seeing a different team. The Julien Devils went 47-24-8; they are (were?) not a bad team at all. With so little time left in the regular season before the playoffs - where there is such little room for error - I don't see the Devils changing too much. They're still going to play their system of hockey which has brought them so much success, after all. Lou will not dump the defense-first style, that I am confident.
And like you say, I agree that Lou will definitely maintain the defense-first style that we all know and love; I just think Julien took it to an extreme and that it hurt the team at times. I think Lou sees the Devils as a defensive-oriented team that has decent offensive talent being squandered by a coach who won't take his foot off the brake pedal, heading into an absolutely crucial playoffs run that will partially dictate the success of the Newark Arena.